CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 9, 2007

THE POLAR BEAR TRIATHLON 2007

Well I finally got off my butt and created a blog! This past weekend was the Polar Bear Triathlon at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico. This will be my second time doing this race. This will be the first race of the 2008 race season for the Southwest Challenge Series, a triathlon racing season composed of over twenty races throughout New Mexico and West Texas.

I arrived a little later that I usual to the race (normally me and my partner are the third and fourth ones there). This was the first time that my lovely wife would accompany me to a race at White Sands. She usually attends the bigger races that are USAT sanctioned, so I was pretty happy that she decided to go. I me and my friend "PT Dog Matt" usually push each other for these races but he could not make it to the race, so I had get motivated without him.

The weather was great, a little wind but not too bad (more on that later). I began by setting up my transition area with the help of my lovely assistant. Once I was set up I sweat I only had about 5 minutes to warm-up. The race director got up front and called everyone to attention, gave his normal spill and then I heard that the race was a 7K instead of a 5K. I was expecting a 5k and with being sick all week I wasn't sure that my stomach could handle the distances. Then before you knew it we were off in my head I was just thinking who cares just have fun and race at a training pace. The run was smooth with a start in the front of the pack that ended somewhere in the middle of the pack. Funny, when you train on a treadmill it seems that when you hit the pavement you feel like you gained twenty pounds. My legs were burning for the first 2 miles then the burned tapered off.

As I approached T1, I felt great the leg burn was mostly gone and I felt good. I transitioned and hit the bike. I was curious to see how I would do. I was trying something new. I had not ridden in about two months (on pavement), but I had been tearing it up on my indoor trainer in front of the big screen in my garage. The first portion of the 30k bike was slightly down hill. The legs were feeling great and that is right about the time I started passing all the people that had passed me in last mile of the run. It's always a great feeling but then I just remind myself that I just need to improve my run so that it is proportional to my bike. I was moving along great when the road turned just a bit to the right at about 10k and "bam", it was that wind that I thought was none existent. I started pushing harder and I went to an easier gear on the bike, made it passed the wind and then took advantage of a great downhill at about 20k, I was moving about 30 mph it was great. The last 5k were tough, they always are at White Sands. I don't know why but I always get the feeling that I am going up hill when it looks perfectly flat.

As I pedal into T2 I see my loyal wife reading her book, with no idea I am coming into transition. No sooner as that thought processed through my mind she looks up and starts cheering me on, I get changed for my swim, and I start running for the pool. As I am running there is my book worm wife and loyal friend running right next to me cheering Go! Go! You gotta love these not sanctioned USAT races were loved ones can be close to the transition area cheering you on.

I plunged into the indoor pool (I love this, the water is so warm, it was in the 50's outside) to start my 400m swim. I am not a great swimmer at all. But I have been practicing by doing longer pool workouts, working on stroke technique, and sprints for power and endurance. I was passed three times, I think? I was actually pretty happy with my swim, I usually have a small "school" of triathletes pass me in the pool.

I did not stick around for the final times, apparently some people were late to the race and were allowed to start anyway. So it was going to be a while before the results were out. According to my watch though, these were my times: 30:50 for the 7K, 59:00 for the 30k, and 10:33 for the 400m swim.

So the wife and I opted to go to another banquet. The Southwest Challenge Series has an awards ceremony at the end of the race season and they give the awards out for the different age groups. For the 2007 race season I earned 3rd place. This was my first attempt at a complete season, and I have to say I was pretty happy with the results. The trophies were great and unique, "Champagne Bottles"! All and all we had a great time, great weather, and good company, made for a relaxing Saturday morning.

2 comments:

JB-from-EPT-Age-grouper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I read this blog, laughed and learned. Good work by the way in creating this.