CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

IN CONTROL OF MY LIFE AGAIN

I know it has been a long time since I have written anything on my blog but I am back. I am also racing again, which feels great!

So a quick recap! Back in February 2008, work took a hold of me and without going into great detail, I was basically working 16-18 hour days. Being consumed by work did not leave me any time to train and therefore no time to race.

But believe it or not the rest was well needed. I feel fired up and ready to go again. I am way behind in the Southwest Challenge Series Triathlon points but I have full intentions of making a run for the points before the year is up!

My first race after the lay off was the Las Cruces Duathlon. The day started off great beginning with the weather. I had never done the course so I had no idea what it would be like. For those of you who have never done the Las Cruces Duathlon here is the run down. The course is a 5k run/26mile bike/5k run. The race was held at the field of dreams, which by the way is a nice sports facility. The run was flat, half pavement, and half loose gravel, which in all actuality was not so bad. The bike was 26 miles, not bad right? Well the first thirteen miles were up hill. Never having done the course I thought the hill would never end. Now the awesome part, the course was an out and back, so you guessed it! We were moving on the way back! If I remember correctly I hit a top speed of 45 mph, and I held it for a little while. After arrival at T2 it was off to another 5k run same course, however the final 400 meters were done around a track, for what they called a victory lap! It was a great race. I am still waiting for the results. I left right after the race for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel!!

Last weekend I did my second race after my layoff and the 4th race of the season for the Southwest Challenge Series. I was in good ole' Odessa, Texas for the Tumbleweed Triathlon. The first time that I did this race was back in 2006, it was also my last. I was excited to see how much I had improved in two years. One quick story! I thought the race was on a Saturday, so I left El Paso Friday afternoon, arrived at the YMCA for registration and then they broke me the bad news! The race was actually on Sunday. So I had to pay for an extra night at the hotel. No big deal I had the wife and dog with me so I had no worries back home!!!

Now to the race. The race consisted of a 5k run/12 mile bike/500m swim. It was a great race I felt great. The only factor, it was a little windy, other than that it was a great race. I improved my 5k run time and my 12 mile bike time. I don't have the exact figures but you all will have to take my word for it. The swim time was about thirty seconds slower. I will attribute it to the following: in 2006 the race was traditional order S/B/R. This year it was reversed so I think I would have had a faster time but since it was my last event I figure that's why I was thirty seconds slower.

Anyway, I'm back! I am excited, primarily cause I have a grip on my life again. I took a look at the points and Cody Hanson is in the lead. Pretty good for his first year as an age grouper.....my congrats! I don't know if either one of us will get the eight races in time but we will see. I know the rules changed regarding the amount of races that you have to do. But when the points are close you almost have to get your eight races in. Anyway, I hope to see you all at the races!!!!

0 comments: